Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sweet Last Memories

Thankfulness Day 27
My Grandma Teddy holds Owen several month ago.
My mom told me today that my Grandma Teddy is now in a full coma and that she only has a few days left.  My heart is grieving and broken.  I suppose that is normal.  We (grandchildren) spent a lot of time with our grandparents growing up.  We have so many memories.

In recent years, mainly, after growing up having kids, I haven't visited like I used to (every school break, pretty much, for a week at a time).  My siblings and I would take turns going to each grandparent or aunt's house.  I am so thankful for all that time I got to spend with my grandparents, and I know that growing up that close to grandparents isn't always the case.

I was able to visit my grandma with the kids several times just recently because I wanted her to remember us as long as possible (she has Alzheimer's).  On one of those visits, Madelyn found a kitty stuffed animal in a closet and ran and showed it to my grandma.  My grandma grinned and said, "Do you want it?"  Madelyn hugged the kitty tight and nodded "Yes."  My grandma then gleefully grinned, as she enjoyed giving such a sweet gift.  Madelyn now carries around and sleeps with that kitty.  At the end of our last visit, less than two weeks ago, the kids and I were giving her hugs goodbye and as I held Owen up to her, Owen reached out and gave her a kiss.  He saw that it pleased her and gave her another one, and another one, and another one.  That affection from her great grandson left her with a sweet, satisfied smile on her face.  Those are my last memories of her.  I am thankful for those last sweet memories of my grandma.

As I go see her today, in her comatose state, I want to remember her just as I saw her last.  It is never easy to see someone so close to death, especially a loved one.  Please keep my family in prayer, specifically my dad, who, being an only child, faces loosing his only parent left.  He is having a hard time, understandably.  Pray that he his grief is overwhelmed by Christ's sweet comfort.  Please pray for my sister as well.  She spent many of the last several years living with and taking care of my grandma.  She moved up to Washington for a new job in September and needs to get down to see my grandma.  Pray that the company she works for is gracious and that the funds to travel become available.  And just for the entire family in general.  I'm sure you know.  Death is never easy.

No comments: