Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 11: Green Piña Colada Smoothie

I am all about smoothies. Since Troy and I started having one everyday last March, our health has improved in so many ways. We bought a Vitamix last May and have been making plenty of smoothies since. On Mondays, Troy and I have our normal morning smoothie for breakfast and another smoothie for dinner because Troy leaves 20 minutes after he gets home from work to teach an evening class. My desire is to be more creative with the dinner smoothie so we don't tire of the same smoothie. (To view my other smoothie recipes, please click here to visit Witness My Fitness!)

I looked up pineapple coconut smoothie recipes on Pinterest and discovered one that I thought I could modify. One rule I have for smoothie making is that I must include a vegetable. The original recipe didn't have veggies or protein. The smoothie I came up with turned out delicious! It was a nice change of flavor. It sort of took me back to Hawaii! So, here is the modified version of the recipe I pinned!

Green Piña Colada Smoothie
Yields 2 Smoothies at about 225 calories each

3/4 c. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1 scoop of unflavored whey protein
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups frozen spinach
1 VERY* ripe banana
1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple
Handful of Ice

Add all ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

*Remember:  The browner the banana, the sweeter it is and the more antioxidants it contains!

(Owen approved of this smoothie recipe!)


No comments: