Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 8: Refrigerator Redo

When I was younger, my Uncle Tony had a magnet on his fridge that said, "If it walks out if the fridge, LET IT GO!"

We have a small fridge for our family. It get's out if control very easily. It's very easy to imagine things growing legs in there and taking if upon themselves to escape. I put several pins to use in the revamping of the space, or lack of space, in our fridge.

The first idea that helped me handle tackling the huge task of cleaning out what lurked within our fridge was to divide the fridge into sections. The door is a section. Each drawer is a section and each shelf is a section. The pinner suggested to clean one section a day for just ten minutes and this way you can keep your fridge clean. It's a great idea! I just hope I can keep it up!

The next pin I used was the idea of baskets. This worked perfectly for our fridge because it made more use of the space. I grouped like things together: the "bread" condiments with each other, the salad dressings together, the sauces together. These ideas are very useful and I hope my new basket system helps keep my fridge organized. I was able to put the extra deli products in a basket, tortillas in another, sauces, produce and so on.

Next, I made sure that I was storing my produce in the correct way.  This would ensure I would get the most bang for my buck and waste less produce.  Did you know that celery should be wrapped in foil, then stored in the fridge?  Below is a pretty handy chart that I used.  (Click to enlarge.)

Lastly, as posted on day 6, the fridge snack box has proven to be such a great tool for saving time and keeping snacks organized and available. I would recommend this to anyone who owns a fridge!

So, without further ado, here ate the before and after photos....

(Just a reminder, to view the pins I am referring to, please follow me on Pinterest and view my 30 Days of Pinterest board.)
Yikes!  That before photo is pretty embarrassing.  Notice the limp celery leaves?  Yup.  Embarrassing. 


Now to tackle my freezers!

No comments: