Thursday, September 2, 2010

Madelyn @ 1 Year: Happy Birthday, Madelyn!

A year (and a week) ago, on August 26th, 2009, at 9:38am, I met Madelyn Sue for the very first time. She came a little early with the "help" of HEELP syndrome. At 7 pounds, 2 ounces and about 20 inches long, she had long, skinny legs and fingers. Her lips were perfectly shaped and she had a cute, little nose. I remember the first time I saw her little precious face. I could barely lift my hand because it was numb, but I managed to rub my finger across her soft head. After hearing her delicate heartbeat slow dramatically down a few minutes before, tears streamed down my face at the sight of this precious gift from God, even if this gift came via emergency C-section. The Lord was truly gracious to both of us that day.
A year later, Madelyn is now 20 pounds, 15 ounces and 26 1/2 inches tall. She is such a joy in our lives. She giggles and smiles and talks in her own language that somehow Troy and I, and even Jackson understand. Madleyn is walking now. She started walking the day before her birthday. Her hands wave in the air wildly and she smiles from ear to ear whenever she walks. Madelyn has a total of 4 teeth, and three are making their way through. Teething hasn't been easy for her, but, then again, who said teeth cutting through gums would be easy? Hyland's teething tablets take care of most of the pain, along with an occasional dose of infant's Acetaminophen.
Madelyn still has a lack of hair. As they say, good things come to those who wait. I hope that means she will have good hair. So far, the little hair that she does have is adorable. She has little curls at the back of her head! :)Madelyn absolutely adores her brother. Her face still lights up every time he enters the room. It still warms my heart every time I see that happen. They giggle and laugh together, and, when Madelyn allows it, they wrestle. Jackson told me today, "Mom, I'm so glad that Madelyn is walking!" He is really enjoying seeing her grow and accomplish things that he can do.
Madelyn also LOVES animals, especially kitties and doggies. "Kitty" was her first word, afterall! She gets so excited when an animal is around and shows a ton of interest in them. Cassie isn't sure what to do about this enthusiasm. Even though Madelyn is very gentle with her, Cassie would rather be left alone. This is why we decided to get a kitten (or two) for Madelyn's birthday. (More about that later!)
I don't know if I could say it enough---Madelyn is truly a joy to us. I can't kiss her little cheeks enough! My heart melts at every smile. Her bright blue eyes light up my days (as do Jackson's!). I can scarcely believe it has been a year since she came into this world. What a whirlwind of a year! I thank God for this darling little girl and I can't wait to see what this year of her life will bring. Although, seeing how fast this past year went, I will strive to cherish every milestone, every little moment, and every precious smile all the more!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I love how her personality has just blossomed the last couple of weeks!

Witness My Fitness said...

Me too! She is such a little person now. Even more so, a little girl! She loves dolls and purses already!