Sunday, September 5, 2010

Thoughts for the Lord's Day: Help the weak.


Troy spoke on this passage during a school Chapel a few weeks ago, and I believe is preaching on it next week at church. So, naturally, he has been bringing it up often. I decided to look at it to experience the richness of the passage myself. Paul is writing to the the Thessalonians---encouraging them and reminding them of some really good things for us as Christians to remember. The whole book of 1 Thessalonians is filled with good reminders to Christians. Take a look:

(Final Instructions and Benediction) 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22

[12] We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, [13] and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. [14] And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. [15] See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. [16] Rejoice always, [17] pray without ceasing, [18] give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. [19] Do not quench the Spirit. [20] Do not despise prophecies, [21] but test everything; hold fast what is good. [22] Abstain from every form of evil.

Now, there are several good reminders in that passage, however, the verse of Troy's focus is verse 14. This has been a challenge of mine lately. I think of things I can do more for people at our church, our food bank, the neighbor down the street. But, I admit, when I read this verse, I mainly I think of my mother who is very ill right now. She is currently out of my reach, as she is away from home in Washington right now. My brother and sister-in-law are taking care of her. She is very weak physically, and just a call or video chat from the kids, Troy, and I lights up her day. I am challenged to encourage her more spiritually as well. I need to pray with her on the phone. I need to encourage her more with scripture. She can't see that well right now, but could use a good devotional on CD perhaps.

In the busyness of the day, it is so easy to forget these simple things. I pray that, with the Lord's help, I remember them.

No comments: