Friday, November 13, 2009

I am a mom.

As I looked at Madelyn's big, almost blue eyes staring back at me yesterday, I marveled at the fact that I am a mom. I mean, when in the world did that happen? I remember people telling me when I was pregnant with Jackson, "Oh, this is your first? Once you have kids, your life is over!" I would beg to differ with that statement. My life isn't over now that I have kids. I've just started a new chapter. Sure, I can no longer expect a full eight hours of pure sleep. I can't go to the restroom without a little boy following me to the toilet and asking, "Mommy, watcha do'in?" But, I have these two precious little people in my life who I love unconditionally, and they love me right back. I have a little boy who will walk into the room just to tell me he loves me. And a little girl whose bright eyes and big smile light up my whole day. My husband and I are responsible for raising these two individuals up in a way that glorifies God. It is up to us to teach them about life, death, sin, repentance, Christ, truth...the list goes on! What an amazing opportunity we have! So, the next time I have to clean poop off of Jackson's body, the floor, and the couch (yes...that actually happened today!), or Madelyn wakes up every couple hours through the night, I want to strive to focus on the opportunity God has blessed me with. I'm sure it won't make those difficult moments in motherhood any easier, but it will help to keep that purpose in mind.

1 comment:

Susan said...

This is beautiful Melissa. It's hard when they're grown up and you still want them to need you like they used to! When they're raised right though, they're independent and while they prayerfully want you in their lives (!)the need just isn't the same (:
You are so wise to treasure these times even when you recognize that in them are hard times too.
Wonderful Blog.
In Christ, Susan