Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Month of Thankfulness

In these days leading up to the wonderful American holiday of Thanksgiving, I'd like to take a little bit of time to express what I am thankful for.  I'm hoping I can do a post everyday or nearly everyday because surely, I am thankful for so many things!  So here it goes...



God's Sovereignty & Graciousness

I am so very thankful for God's sovereign reign over everything.  Of course, there are times in my life when I feel I have no control and that my world is falling apart at the seams.  It brings me great comfort to know that God is holding all those seams together.  Some of the things that happen from day to day don't make any sense to me, and, on the other hand, some things seem to make sense.  Either way, the God who created the universe is in control of it all---even the "little things."  Wow.
Not only is He the all-knowing, all-powerful God, He also is so very gracious.  For example, yesterday, as I was busy prepping for our church's Reformation Night event, Owen fell off the kitchen bench and split his forehead open to the bone.  Blood was squirting, yes, squirting everywhere and I immediately knew no bandaid was going to fix this.  Panic struck as I reached for my phone and dialed Troy and called him five or six times before he picked up.  I quickly gathered extra clothes for Owen and changed my own (we were both bloody) and waited a couple minutes for Troy to arrive (while Owen screamed until a big lollipop I found in the pantry called him down).  In the meantime, Jackson and Madelyn calmly and quickly got themselves dressed (this never happens) and we all left for the doctor in no time at all.  In the end, it was a deep cut that needed several steri-strips and glue and Owen was (almost) as good as new.  When I got my thoughts together and knew my son would be fine, I began to think, very selfishly, WHY TODAY???  I am so busy today.  Why did this happen today?  And then it hit me.  If this happened just a few days from now, I couldn't have called Troy to help me get all three kids to the doctor so we could get Owen's head wound fixed up.  He would have been on a business trip across the country.  FORGIVE ME, LORD, I immediately prayed.  THANK YOU for being so gracious in your timing of this little mishap!  We are also so thankful it was just a bad cut.  No concussion.  No more injury.  Just a scary looking cut.  To quote my husband, "God is gracious.  Always."

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: