Monday, November 26, 2012

Saved, not by works!

November 23rd
Thankfulness Day 23
The Salt Lake Temple
 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  Ephesians 2:8-9


Today I am so very thankful, beyond words, really, that Christ has given me the gift of salvation.  I am so thankful that I don't need to carry around a burden to do good works so I can earn my spot in heaven.  We visited the Temple Square in Salt Lake City today because they turned the Christmas lights on there this evening.  I must say I was oddly depressed.  My heart ached for the LDS.  There were seemingly millions of tiny, festive lights strung on all the trees on the Temple Square grounds surround the temple.  There was a beautiful reflection pool with a nativity scene in the middle of it.  There was a narrator over a loud speaker narrating the story of Christ's birth in a light show.  They are telling the story of Christ's birth and trying to emphasize the importance of it.  However, they don't believe the coming, death, and resurrection of Christ fully save them.  They do work to earn their salvation, among other things. The people who take part in the LDS religion are hard workers.  You can tell.  Their temple and churches are beautifully built and kept.  Their Elders and Missionaries are out in large numbers sharing their religion.  But, can their work here on earth save them from their sin and death or even earn them more in the life to come?  And if so, what purpose did Christ serve on the cross?  Oh!  If they only new the true Gospel story!  What a burden would be lifted!

No comments: