Monday, November 26, 2012

My Grandma Teddy

November 25
Thanksfulness Day 25

A few days ago,  my Grandma Teddy suffered a stroke.  She was already in poor health due to Alzheimer's, COPD, and some heart issues.  She is now on hospice and is in a hospital bed at home.  In these times, when her time left is so short, sadness fills my heart.  It seems she is no longer aware of who anyone is.  My parents and the hospice aides and nurses are trying to keep her comfortable.  Death is never an easy thing.  I don't want her to suffer.  At the same time, it is hard to accept loss.  I know I won't loose all the memories I made with her...the many games of Chinese Checkers played, the times she would paint my nails a pretty pail pink, when she took me to get my ears pierced, the way she loved and took care of my grandpa till the very end, when she would bring us candy bars in her purse, the way she gave Troy and I a silly, sly grin the entire visit the first time she met him, the way she gleefully cheered when she first held each of her great-grand children for the first time, and even the time she cut my bangs by putting tape across my forehead.  I cherish all those memories, but they are so hard to swallow right now.  I am so thankful for my Grandma Teddy and for all the memories of her I have been blessed with.  I pray that God gives her great comfort over these last few days and that she won't have to suffer much.  

In these last few weeks, I have brought the kids to visit their GG Teddy a few times and she loved watching them play.  I'm glad I did that and I only wish I did it more often.

No comments: